The morning after the concert, Amanda and I started my tour of I-35 with brunch at Cafe Brazil in Dallas. I love that place, especially their coffee. Then we caravanned together to Austin for the UT vs. Texas Tech game. I-35 is such a horrible freeway, there was so much traffic in all these random spots. It wasn't the most fun drive ever, but at least it was a nice day. Jeremy had ridden up to Austin with his parents, so I met him at the hotel*. We weren't lucky enough to have a parking pass this game, so we parked at our favorite, top secret football game parking location and hiked to the stadium. I was STARVING! We ended up running into my old friend Travis and his fiancee Morgan (Hi, Morgan!) at a tailgate and caught up with them about baby and wedding plans (ours are the baby plans, theirs are wedding plans). Then we had to hightail it to our seats to make it before kickoff. I got a hot dog and I was a happy camper! It was a good enough game and I was very happy our Longhorns shut up those annoying Tech fans.
After the game, we met up with Emily, Justin and Chris at Kerbey Lane. (Chris was nice enough to pick them up from the game, so they had time to pick up cookies and ice cold milk from Tiff's Treats. We spent that amount of time walking to our car. I was miserable.) I don't think I've ever eaten so much Kerbey queso in my life, plus a chipotle grilled cheese sandwich. It hit the spot! But we didn't get back to the hotel* until almost 2am!

The next morning we were all lucky enough to meet up again at Matt's El Rancho (suggested by the Harbisons, we totally made them fans!). Also, Carrie and Zach were able to stop by for lunch, so that was really fun. It's all about food and football when we go to Austin, and luckily we had our fill of both! We then began our last leg of the highway tour, 71 to I-10 home to Houston. I was thrilled I had Jeremy as a driver on this leg, and each day was a shorter drive than the previous.
The Story of the *
You might have noticed I marked an * by hotel above. The story behind our hotel is the very essence of my relationship with my husband and our very different thought processes. Two weeks before that weekend, I decided to go ahead and book a room at a Marriott just in case for Saturday night. Jeremy was convinced we could drive back that night, but I was wary of those plans as last time we did that we didn't get home until 3am and both of us could barely stay awake, and I knew I was driving 4 hours on Friday and 3.5 already on Saturday morning. I mentioned it to Jeremy a couple of days later, letting him know I didn't have to pre-pay, I just booked a room and it could be cancelled up until 6pm on that Saturday. It seemed like a win-win situation to me! The Tech game was a busy weekend in Austin and sometimes it gets really tough to find hotel rooms. Jeremy did not agree, standing by the fact that there was no reason to book a room. Okay, whatever. I cancelled the room the week of the game. I let Jeremy know I cancelled it and also forwarded him the cancellation email. That Thursday night or Friday we found out our friends had gotten tickets to the game off of Craigslist and they definitely were staying Saturday night, so Friday morning as I was packing for Dallas Jeremy asked if indeed we did have a room. Needless to say, he booked a room for us as I was headed to Dallas on Friday. Somehow the Harbisons ended up with an awesome room downtown from Priceline...and we ended up in a handicapped room at an older Marriott on 290. I'm just saying...I love you honey, but trust me on matters of planning. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment