Saturday morning off we went with Kevin to Huntsville State Park. It had been really cold and wet earlier in the week, but it (sort of) dried off and the sun started shining that afternoon. It was still pretty chilly, but the campfire and lots of layers helped. I started out wearing a tank, a t-shirt, a fleece, a scarf, gloves, pants, socks and tennis shoes and ended with adding a ski jacket (outer shell + fleece lining), a second pair of pants, and Uggs. It was actually kind of nice being pregnant because I just sat on a chaise lounge Jeremy brought for me reading magazines while he and Kevin set up our tents, got the fire going and unloaded the truck. Our campsite was actually kind of pretty, with a nice view of the lake (even if signs did warn of gators!), and was the closest you could get to the bathrooms (perfect for me, and thanks to Jeremy!). We were able to borrow a bunch of camping stuff from my dad, and then Justin and Kevin had quite a few of their own supplies, so we only had to worry about buying food.
Later in the afternoon Justin, Emily and their dog Riley joined us and we cooked a delicious dinner over the fire - hot dogs and chili. Seriously, campfire food is so good! We played the game Things (highly recommend, very fun!) and made s'mores later in the night and our friend Chris surprised us by coming in from Austin for the night. We had a blast! I was pretty uncomfortable when trying to wriggle into more layers and into a sleeping bag inside of a tent (seeing as I can't bend over as it is) and got a little fussy, but with Jeremy's help I actually slept okay. I was warm enough anyway. Poor Jeremy was freezing all night and right when he saw some light outside around 6:45am he jumped up to get the fire started.
Honestly, it was a fun night with friends and I would definitely do it again - not pregnant and about 10-15 degrees warmer would be perfect.
Editor's Note: I know most who read this only know me as I am now, and think I am most certainly not an outdoorsy girl. But I will have you know, in full disclosure, 2 summers in a row in high school I went with my summer camp to Colorado and camped in the wilderness for 2 weeks each time. We had a base camp where we stayed one week, with porta-potties and army-style tents with wood platform floors, but no running water or electricity (some staff stayed at a ski resort nearby and they brought us jugs of water and our meals). Then for the other week we went off camping in the backcountry with a couple counselors - carrying a backpack 30% of your body weight all day while hiking, pitching our own tents, bathroom in the woods, cooking our own meals, purifying our own water collected from streams, and eventually we hiked to peak a mountain at 13,000' above sea level. Oh, and only 2 showers the whole time over 2 weeks. So I might not be outdoorsy now, but I did know how to camp!
No comments:
Post a Comment