I decided to make a few new decorations for our house for Christmas this year. It's nothing exciting but I'm pretty proud!
I got this runner from Target before Thanksgiving. I saw it probably in October and loved it. I love the red and the beading, but when I got it on our table I realized a traditional centerpiece wouldn't really work because it would cover the word up. So I ran to Michael's and got supplies to make 2 small floral arrangements. I figure in another house they could be used on the mantle or bookshelves or something.
I also tried to make this wreath. As I mentioned before, that mesh is nowhere to be found in Houston, so I used some very wide wired ribbon, and then several smaller wired ribbons, all in gold, silver and a fun little leopard print. I got the pretty 'Christ is born' glitter sign from Hobby Lobby. I just started tying ribbon on randomly on the grapevine wreath. Then I went through and kept adding and adding and adding. Then I added some more ribbon. It seems like the mesh would hold better, and I think most of my ribbon was too long, but once I trimmed down the ends it seemed a little better. It's not near as cute as Kristen's, but I like it. I also like where I hung it! When I grow up and get a big house, I want Christmas trees in all different rooms, including a white tree with silver and gold ornaments. So this wreath can go there.
My goal was to make a few of these as Christmas gifts...with 9 days to Christmas, I'm not sure that will happen!
Over the weekend, I went to Austin with my mom and brother to decorate gingerbread houses with her side of the family. My Aunt Cindy always bakes the houses and puts them together and provides all the decorations for us to use. For some reason I've never made it to one of these, so I was glad to finally go! We got to see my Aunt Cindy, Uncle Richard, cousin Brigeda, Aunt Cara, Uncle Chris, cousins Anna and Baxter, and Amanda was even able to decorate in between 2 finals on Saturday! We decorated, ate candy, watched the Heisman presentation and enjoyed burgers from Waterloo together. My mom with her sisters is always fun - and it makes me glad to have my own!
I must say, I think my gingerbread house was the best one! :)
My Aunt Cindy also hooked me up with a sewing machine for free! I think it's "vintage" - it comes withe the original manual and 70's looking pictures. It's also on it's own table thing, which is pretty cool. It will probably stay in storage until we move to a bigger place, but I'm excited to have it! I've been wanting one to practice on for a while, and my mom is pretty much an expert seamstress, so I'll be all set.
9 days to Christmas...who's ready??
I love your Christmas decorations. The wreath turned out great and surely your gingerbread house was the best! If not, I can't imagine what the others looked like!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh! I love the wreath you made! It's gorgeous! I am bummed that I can't see a bigger picture of it though!
ReplyDeleteAnd do you want to teach me how to sew? Thanks!
ReplyDelete